So is Atkins good or bad for you? This is one of the most controversial diets there has ever been. In the one camp Atkins fans stand by the diet that caused them to lose a lot of weight, fast. On the other hand are those who claim to have proof that Atkins is downright dangerous for your health.
Let’s have a look at the good and bad points of the Atkins diet
1. It is true that no other diet burns fat as fast as the Atkins diet. Lots of people testify to this, and Atkins lays out the physics for this in his very popular books.
2. The Atkins diet makes you feel satisfied. There is no real portion control so you can eat a lot on Atkins, although people are discouraged to eat beyond feeling satisfied. Also, meat and fat, which are main components in the Atkins diet, are more fulfilling and much slower to digest than carbs. So you feel more satisfied after a meal and stay that way longer.
3. There are many research that shows Atkins to be better for one’s health than any of the other conventional weight loss and lifestyle diets. Studies shows that Atkins helps to reduce cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure. In addition, many cases of acid reflux, sleep apnea, and diabetes have either had the symptoms reduced or completely disappear while on the Atkins diet. This can off course also be contributed to the weight loss in itself that has been brought on by Atkins.
Not so good points
1. There has been concerns about the toxic overload caused by losing weight too fast. We all have some toxins hidden in our fat cells. When burning fat these toxins are released again into your bloodstream. You can experience toxic overload when you burn fat too fast, as in the first weeks or months of the Atkins diet.
2. In the begin phase of the Atkins you might experience fatigue or even extreme tiredness. According to the experts this is caused by switching fuels from glucose to ketones. It’s a drastic change in your metabolism. It can also partly be because of the withdrawal of sugar and carbs from your body. People who suffer from food addiction experience these symptoms when getting “clean” from the large amounts of sugar in their bodies.
3. People on Atkins might need to take a vitamin supplement, especially during the very restrictive phase, as it lacks sound nutrition.
Lots of people use Atkins to quickly lose some pounds before some function. Unfortunately this follows the same pattern as the other unhealthy and dangerous methods out there of starving and binging. If you want to make Atkins a lifestyle change, you will have to follow the less aggressive program and choose your carbs wisely. Always opt for nutrient dense live carbs. These include fresh vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, spinach, and green beans. This is critical where total carbs are very limited – such as with the first two stages of the Atkins diet.
Please Note: I tried to give an unbiased review of the above mentioned diets.
However, I do not endorse diets that promises “quick fixes” or diets that restrict certain food.
In fact, according to research and my own experience these diets are extremely dangerous for a person with food addiction and can even push you further into eating disorders.
I compiled an online Christian eating disorder program for women struggling with food. In one of the weeks we deal specifically with food and all the different diets out there. I give you my own experience with different diets, as well as those of the ladies I’ve encountered in support groups. Hearing personal stories and testimonies will give you a better idea of the pros and cons of some of the above reviewed diets.
Come find out how to make an educated decision and lose weight safe and permanently. Weight gain is only one of the components that needs to be addressed to permanently leave food addiction behind. In this program of 12 Weeks we deal with all the other causes of eating disorders and areas of your life that may have been affected by your eating disorder. I offer the first Week of this program free so that you can get an idea of what to expect.
You can get help for yourself or a loved one through my 12 Week Online Study Course. I’ve compiled this course from my own experience with food struggles, insight and understanding I’ve gained through counseling ladies in my support groups, Biblical principals, as well as material I’ve gathered by well-known Christian authors, counselors, and doctors. This study is jam-packed with information, practical guide lines and honest testimonies.
Click on the image below to learn more about the 12 Week Online Program
Read my story. Click on the image below to download my ebook for free